C1840 signed SEDDON Rosewood Curricle Bergere
This elegant chair retains its paper label for T & G Seddon, Manufacturers to Her Majesty. The rare label records the address as Grays Inn Road. Thomas and George Seddon moved to that address in either 1831 or 1833, depending on sources. Their grandfather had started the prestigeous firm in 1750. In 1827 Nicholas Morel entered into a partnership with Seddons to fulfil a contract to furnish Windsor Castle for George IVth. The Morel and Seddon partnership lasted four years. This resulted in T. & G. Seddon gaining a Royal Warrant in 1832. The received wisdom is not clear if the "her Majesty" which some sources say is used directly after 1832, is indeed Queen Adelaide (of special memory to South Australians), or Victoria, who came to the throne in 1837. We will plump for Victoria, and so date this chair shortly after that year. We'll go for C1840, given the William IVth style of the seat. The label has two pen and ink inscriptions: one for the number of the individual piece of furniture, 5781, and the name of the person who ordered it "Brown".
The Brazilian Rosewood chair is in excellent condition and has recenty been reupholstered. The conforming brass casters to the hind sabre legs are particularly fetching. They are brass, of course, pre-dating the white and brown ceramic wheels so much associated with Victoria's reign.
To enquire about this item, call on 03 9489 8467 or fill out the form below.