Spectacular William IVth Sterling Silver Mug, by J.C. Edington.
This spectacular William IVth mug even hugely impressed the silversmith who straightened it out. It is hallmarked for London, 1834, and is of exceptional workmanship. By James Charles Edington.
11.5 cm tall. About 8 cm diameter in the middle. 312 grams.
As Timo Koopman's excellent website observes: "James Charles Edington entered his first mark on 6th February 1828 from 43 Berwick Street, Soho. He moved between 1837 and 1840 to 23 Leicester Square where he is listed as a working silversmith until 1862 and from 1863 until 1872 as a manufacturing silversmith. Although the business continued in his name after June 1869, it would appear that J.C. Edington had retired, died or gone into partnership with Henry Stokes who at the time entered a mark from 23 Leicester Square. Stokes subsequently moved to 103 High Street, Marylebone. J.C. Edington's workshop appears to have been especially busy during the 1830s and '40s at the time when he was probably the chief supplier of silver to the retail goldsmiths and jewellers Green, Ward & Green of Cockspur Street."
To enquire about this item, call on 03 9489 8467 or fill out the form below.